Professor Sherif Kamel Shaheen
Dr. Sherif Kamel Shaheen
Professor of Library and Information science
Vice-Dean for Community service and Environment development
Faculty of Arts, Cairo University
- July 1991 Doctorate of Arts - Department of library, Archives and information - Faculty of Arts - Cairo University (First honor degree with a recommendation to print and exchange on the expense of Cairo university).
- January 1987 Master of Arts - College of Library and Information Studies - Leeds University, England, (With Distinction degree).
- May 1982 Distinctive Bachelor of Arts in librarianship and information science - Faculty of Arts - Cairo University (Excellent degree).
- May 1981 private pilot license "civil aviation" from the Institute of Egypt Air - Ministry of Aviation, Egypt.
- 3 December 2014 up till now – Vice Dean for Community services and environment development – Faculty of Arts, Cairo University.
- 1 August 2010 – 3 December 2014 - Head of Department of library, Archives and information Technology - Faculty of Arts - Cairo University.
- February 2011 - July 2012, Director of the University of Cairo Press.
- 6 October 2007 to 15 December 2014- Director of the New Central Library of the Cairo University.
- 1 October 2005 - September 2007 - Director of the Central administration of National Library of Egypt (Egyptian National Library) - the Egyptian Ministry of Culture.
- Teaching various courses in both languages (Arabic and English) in various departments in library and information sciences and faculties of Mass communications.
- Teaching various training courses and workshops organized by Egyptian and Arabic institutions.
- A member at various professional associations and federations in Egypt and abroad.
- A member of the National standing committee for Professors promotions in the Egyptian Universities and other Universities in some Arabic countries.
- Chief Editor of the journal of Librarianship, information and documentation published by the Arabic League, since December 2014.
- Member of the editorial board of Cairo University International Journal of Advanced Research in Social Sciences, published by Elsevier.
- Member of various editorial board for various Arabic journals specialized in library and Information Science.
- Head of the Committee of book and Publishing at the Egyptian Supreme Council of culture - the Ministry of Culture –since September 2011 till now.
- Referee for the Egyptian Publishers Association Annual award at “Cairo International Book Fair” -(January-February 2014) and (January 2015).
- Member of the Council of culture and knowledge - Academy of Scientific Research, the Ministry of Scientific Research, elected in June 2013 up till now.
- Member of the Government board of the Cultural Development Fund, the Ministry of Culture, in September 2011 up till now.
- National expert for the International parliamentary Union (IPU) for the development of information and library sector of the Egyptian Parliament since November 2014 till now.
Research and Scholarly activities:
- Participate in seminars and public lectures and conferences in Egypt and abroad. Therefore, I visited more than 20 Arab and foreign countries.
- Scientific supervision for nearly 50 Theses and Dissertations accredited by a number of universities inside and outside Egypt.
- The number of intellectual works reached 120 varies between public lectures, scientific reports, articles, research, text books and others.
- The number of intellectual contributions to 120 pursuant intellectually between public lectures and scientific reports, articles, research and scientific books and chapters in books and others.
- The latest published work entitled: o Arab Universities between identity demands and aspirations of the world rankings - Cairo: Academic Library, 2013. o Traditional and electronic publishing - First Edition - Cairo: Dar Al Jawhara, 2014. o Knowledge society and contemporary issues of: the World Summit - Infrastructure - Applications - Knowledge Economy - First Edition – 2 volumes - Cairo: Dar Al Jawhara, 2014.
Awards and grants academic and financial rewards:
- Received numerous shields and certificates of appreciation from the Egyptian and Arab institutions for participation in the scientific and cultural events.
- 2013 Sharjah Prize for Librarianship Literature (first place) - Sharjah Government - Department of Culture and Information.
- 2001 State Incentive Award in Social Science (Library and Information), the Arab Republic of Egypt.
Egyptian and Arab achievements:
- 2006 participate in preparation for the opening of the old building of the Egyptian National Library (Bab-Al-Khalq).
- 2006 issuing the decision for the actual implementation of the national program for CIP (Cataloguing In Publication).
- First October 2007 to January 29, 2008- Foundation of the first phase of the new building of the Central Library of Cairo University.
- 2006 - 2014 Plan and implementation of integrated projects targeting documentation and digitization of manuscripts, maps, books, traditional journals and heritage, periodicals and musical scores and recordings collected by the Egyptian National Library in collaboration with the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, and some other agencies, including the Library of Congress, Furqan Foundation of Heritage.
- 2014-2015 work as National expert with IPU to upgrade the Library and information sector at the Egyptian Parliament.
- 2014 Arab Standard for university libraries - commissioned by the Arab Federation for Libraries and Information (AFLI) / jointly with Prof. Dr. Osama El Sayed Mahmoud, and Prof. Dr. Yusreya Zayed - 85 p.
Academic and Social Communication:
- Scholarly communication: slideshare - LinkedIn - Academia.edu - ResearchGate - Scholars.
- Social networking: Facebook- Sherif Kamel Shaheen.
How to Create Real Future Impact?
People make the difference.
In short, the presentation concentrates on the 21st century creative, motivated and qualified information specialist contributions in four sectors. Firstly, Innovation and Entrepreneurship (Activities and projects) Secondly, Social responsibility in two directions. Thirdly, code of Ethics for information profession and fourthly, Strategic partnerships with other bodies. Leader, Manager or Coach? This is the question for the contemporary librarian. The chain of entrepreneurship starts with creativity and moves forward to Innovation. Innovation is about making changes but it must be considered as more than just making changes in order to be perceived differently. There are two sides for implications: Practical implications and Social implications. Bob Kelleher (Society of Human Resources Management), showed research on the amount of questions asked by children, teenagers, and then adults, which demonstrated a decline in how we question things as we age.
The creative leader will find ways to encourage organizations and people of all ages, to ask the questions that will lead to innovative ideas and concepts. It is emphasized that converting new ideas into innovations have to be reflected in practical projects and activities involving citizens. For example, 3-D printing, Innovation center, Yoga classes, Bookless library, Cloud computing, Webinars, Web-based academic or scholarly communications. According to code of Ethics for information profession, the presentation assures the importance of satisfying information users’ needs in honesty and by all means known for the information specialist and within the context of the institution in accordance with the ethics and principles of the profession and the society. Also, the presenter differentiate between three intersect sides for the profession ethics in practice: personal, society and the profession. Concerning Social responsibility, ISO 26000 Guidance on social responsibility is discussed and its main principles. In addition, the IFLA Social Responsibilities Discussion Group (SRDG) and ALA’s Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT) activities are explained. Finally, the presentation divides Information centers and libraries’ social responsibility in two kinds: Society’s social responsibility towards them and vice versa. Strategic alliances with other partners’ needs and objectives are discussed. Finally, the presenter end up on two things to bring about real changes in the future, namely: interest in the genesis of the Arab Child in a real beneficial and positive electronic environment, and the second is the solidification of creative thinking or what is known as “Thinking outside the box”.